Australian Teachers: How To Work In The UK

Australian Teachers: How To Work In The UK

Australia Day

Happy Australia Day! To celebrate our Aussie companions we’re discussing what Australian teachers need to secure work in the UK.

Qualified Teacher Status (QTS)

So, if you’re a qualified teacher in Australia you’re in luck.

As a qualified teacher you can apply for QTS in the UK without needing to carry out any further training.

For qualified teachers you can actually teach for up to 4 years without QTS however, you will then need to complete teacher training.

For SEND teachers from Australia, the circumstances are a little different when it comes to QTS.

You will instead need to apply for QTS through the assessment only route or you can apply for a teaching training course.

It’s important to note that the assessment only route does come with fees.


As an Australian teacher you will need to apply for a visa to successfully work in the UK.

For Australian residents, there are 3 different methods to pick from when applying for your visa. You can pick from the following:

Clear Records

On relocating to UK it is important to know that you will need to pass criminal and safeguarding checks to work as a teacher.

These checks will be completed in the form of a police check and disclosure and barring service (DBS).

All staff members within UK education must have an up-to-date DBS.

If you require help applying for a DBS, then registering with a UK-based recruitment agency is useful.

Most agencies will be able to guide you in this process.

Recruitment Agency

Leading on from our previous point, let’s review recruitment agencies.

On relocating to the UK it’s most helpful that you register with a UK-based recruitment agency.

Registering with a recruitment agency will help you avoid sending multiple CV’s to an endless number of schools. Let’s not forget how much harder this is as well with the time difference.

Instead, your agency will do the work for you.

An agency will save you time so you can focus on securing your QTS, visa and clear records.

You can register with Forward Teaching today to support your relocation to the UK.

We may be 11 hours behind in time, but we’re in front running with our support at Forward Teaching.

Help A Fellow Aussie

If you know an Australian-based teacher who’s looking to relocate to the UK, please share this blog with them to help them understand what they need to do to secure work.

Auible-australia GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY